Thursday 17 December 2020

Top 10 Favourite Drag Race Queens: #6 Kim Chi

   Continuing my Top 10 Queens from the first 10 seasons of RuPaul's Drag Race


#6:


Kim Chi



Kim Chi (@kimchi_chic) • Instagram photos and videos

After watching a few episodes of Season 1 and finding it literally given me headaches from the poor camera quality I didn't watch Drag Race again until it came to Netflix so the first season I watched was Season 8.  From the very first episode Kim Chi became my absolute favourite Queen of the season, she had me at "Doughnut come for me."  I had never really grokked the artistic side of drag, despite liking Priscilla Queen of the Desert and having lived through the 90s and thus being at least marginally aware of the classic New York Club Kids.  Watching Kim though the season I came to fully understand that it was artistic expression in as pure a form as interpretive dance or impressionistic painting.  It was about taking the surreal and making it physical.

In addition to just being my personal favourite, Kim Chi was also highly successful, despite being the first Queen to win the main challenge in the first episode and then be in the bottom three on the second but she did not falter again until episode 7 when she was just too nice in her Shady Politics challenge.  She never had to lipsynch for her life, winning the Book Ball challenge as well as the first Blast From the Past Challenge along the way to the final three before losing out to Bob the Drag Queen (as opposed to Bob the Blogger)

No comments:

Post a Comment